About two hours into the trip we stopped at a cross road town, Skun, famous for its fried spiders, a food choice impressed upon the local Cambodians during the reign of the Khmer Rouge, when food was so scarce that people were forced to eat pretty much anything that moved and could be captured,
just to get some form of protein. It seems the taste for fried spiders lingers on as the young ladies selling them have large piles of the crispy critters on tray atop their heads. And for those of you who must know, yes I tried one, here's the picture to prove it. It was spicy and crunchy, and probably the last spider I will eat! Admittedly, I only ate some legs. The thought of eating the fat little body was too much, and I immediately bought a can of Coke to wash it
down. Then we spent some time photographing in the local market before continuing on our way. It's remarkable how everywhere we go the people are so friendly and seem pretty happy in spite of how little they have in the way of material possessions.
We stopped for our real lunch at a nice restaurant on a small lake. We had chicken soup with pickled lemons in it, rice, fish and soybeans, chicken and ginger and an Angkor beer. Very nice and excellent service. The bill came to $14 US including the tip. Oh, and that was not per person, that was the total bill for all four of us!just to get some form of protein. It seems the taste for fried spiders lingers on as the young ladies selling them have large piles of the crispy critters on tray atop their heads. And for those of you who must know, yes I tried one, here's the picture to prove it. It was spicy and crunchy, and probably the last spider I will eat! Admittedly, I only ate some legs. The thought of eating the fat little body was too much, and I immediately bought a can of Coke to wash it
down. Then we spent some time photographing in the local market before continuing on our way. It's remarkable how everywhere we go the people are so friendly and seem pretty happy in spite of how little they have in the way of material possessions.
Finally arriving at our hotel, Casa Angkor, at around 3 pm we quickly checked in and then departed for the first of the area temples we would visit during out four night stay in Siem Reap, Ta Prohm. This temple is especially interesting because so little reconstruction has been done, so it is in kind of a ruined state.


omg Frank!!! That looks like a big spider! Must have been a big leg you ate!
ReplyDeleteYuck!
ReplyDelete-Evelyn
Bet it tastes like chicken.
ReplyDeletechicken my ass... bet it taste like a god damn spider! WTF is wrong with you..... RUFKM ??????? this is the most disgusting foto i have ever seen. Stick with the normal cuisine! glad you are back safely and didn't loose a limb after eating the crazy shit! you are an farm boy at heart!!!!!!
ReplyDelete