Good landing, not greased on like the one in Seoul, but still a nice touch down. I've seen worse. I've done a lot worse! I still get sick thinking of the one I planted on the runway at JFK with the "Young Presidents" club on board. I really should have written that up as a "hard landing". But I digress.
Filled out the customs form on the plane and already had my visa so was able to bypass that queue and was one of the first through immigration. Next the wait at the baggage carousel and ... lordy, lordy, there's my bag. OK. Now I head to customs and I see the guy is making people open bags and lift them and stuff. Damn. But he just takes my customs (nothing to declare) form and waves me through. I guess they only hassle their own.
Walking out the exit I see a throng of people looking for relatives, friends, whatever. A few are holding signs with names on them. I desperately look for mine. Actually, that's a bit dramatic. I have faith in the guys that arranged my pick up. I mean it's a fellow tour operator and they're Brits to boot, so what could go wrong? Well, I reach the back of the crowd and don't see anyone, so I circle around back to front and find my driver. Yea!! He grabs my suitcase, I handle the camera "bag" and we walk out to the parking lot where he has a waiting taxi. On the way we pass a tour bus with "Apex Travel - Cambodia" on the side. Now is that a good omen or what?
Shree ( think that's his name) drives me to the hotel. We chit chat a bit. Normal stuff, where I'm from. Been here before (I didn't go into any war stories). How long am I staying, etc. It's 11 pm and of course dark out but there are quite a few folks out and it's fun to see what is going on. Leaving the airport area in this taxi (A/C greatly appreciated as it's 80 degrees our and I'm not dressed for it) I see someone who was on my flight. Slim, blond haired male wearing his sunglasses on top of his head is in a vehicle that looks like a small carriage that is powered by a motorcycle. Driver is mounted on the motorcycle seat and then directly behind him is the two wheeled carriage that looks like it could carry four small adults. The engine must drive the two rear wheels as there is no normal rear wheel that you have with just the motorcycle. In the carriage is Blondy and I would guess, his Cambodian girlfriend. Next we pass a motor scooter, like you might see in Italy. But this has four young Cambodian males (teens or so) all in tandem on it. Tail end Charlie is hanging on for dear life and they are all laughing and have a great time. Helmets? I don't think they know what they are, and, YIKES they are wearing flip flops.
It seems like a long ride to the hotel. Didn't realize the size of the city. Finally arrive and get checked in. This is not the Ritz, but looks comfortable enough. Room has A/C, TV, Fridge with water and cans of Coke and private bath. Breakfast at 6:30 Here's a link if you want to see what the place looks like. http://www.goldengatehotels.com/ Some folks said they have been trying to leave comments but were not able. I will look into that and see if I can post a solution as you should be able to comment on the postings.
Tomorrow I will get some pics and try to upload.
No comments:
Post a Comment