Saturday, February 5, 2011

Let's fly Korean Air

The aircraft is a nice new Boeing 777-300.  God, something still made in the good, old USA! I find my way to seat 47D, on the aisle as requested, lift my 40 pound backpack (yes, I made it on board with my overweight "carry on") into the overhead. Nice to see there are power outlets at each seat, 'cause my iPhone is down to 50% and I want to use the iPad too on this long trip. 
  At first I look around and think I must be the only "round eye" on the flight, then some other Caucasians get on. I didn't really care but it was just interesting. Turns out there is an empty seat between me and the guy in the other aisle seat in this center section row.  Great! Someplace to put some of my stuff. In typical Asian style he doesn't put anything in the empty seat. Ok.
  Now, two hours into the flight and we get lunch. The pretty stew asks me if I want to have something I didn't understand or something else that I didn't understand. I took the first one. Then she handed me the instructions for this kind of do it yourself deal called Bibimbap. There's this bowl containing a little meat, mushrooms, and thinly sliced veggies. Following the instructions I add steamed rice to this. Had to stab the rice package with my real stainless fork 'cause I couldn't get it open. Hope no one was watching! Next comes the gochujang (Korean hot pepper paste) squeezed from what looks like a toothpaste tube, then add the sesame oil and mix it all up. Yum! It's actually pretty tasty!! Sides of cucumber and a clear soup with spinach in it. Fruit (melon & pineapple) for dessert and finished off with some hot, green tea.  First time I think I have eaten on an airplane and felt good about it!
  I've been plugged into my iPhone listening to music while doing this. Gotta stop humming and groovin', people are starting to look. No Internet on the plane so hoping to have time to up load this in Seoul.
Made it to Seoul. Great flight. Very smooth. That was the best landing I ever sat through.

No comments:

Post a Comment