Thursday, January 27, 2011

How this all went down

   Initially, my wife, Evelyn, and I were going to visit a friend, Lam, who is a principal at a high school in Ho Chi Minh City (formerly Saigon). Lam is a world traveler and has been to the US many times, bringing high school students to Utica College, some of whom have enrolled at UC for their college education. Needless to say, we were thrilled when she invited us to visit her country. But, alas Evelyn's knees began to really bother her and the thought of a 20+ hour air plane ride was not looking inviting.
   At this point I became aware of a photo trek Pop Photo magazine was running to Viet Nam and Cambodia. Having taken their photo trek to Egypt in the fall of 2009, I was anxious to go again with these folks as the Egypt trek had been fantastic. Unfortunately, the trip was already booked up and though they put me on a waiting list, I decided to look for other options. Googling "photo workshops" I came across a British company, "All Points East", that had a photo trip to Cambodia during the month of February, which was pretty much the only time I could go, because of work conflicts later in the year.
   I know, you are probably wondering how I could leave Ev with her knee issues, and quite honestly I almost cancelled out on the trip, but then she told me she was going to Grand Cayman with friends from work in March. And when I brought up going on this trip she just said, "Go!". I think she meant on the trip! So here I am departing for Cambodia Friday February 4 on Korean Air (glad to say it is not flight 007!).
  BTW - here are the links to the websites of All Points East and Nathan Horton, the photographer who lives in Phnom Penh and who will be leading this workshop. www.allpointseast.com and www.nathanhortonphotography.com
  Can't wait to see Angkor Wat!! What you say?? Just kidding, couldn't resist. I have this really corny sense of humor.

No comments:

Post a Comment